Friday, July 16, 2010

6 Weeks Post-Op - "Good Healer"

Day 42 (Tuesday, July 6):  6 Weeks Post-Op!!!

So I'm half way to eating solid food again! That really keeps me going. :) Only a little residual swelling remains around my nose - on either side and the upper lip area. There's still a little left in my chin area too. But most of it is GONE. :)  The right half of my lower lip and chin are still numb, but the feeling is slowly working it's way back. I'd say that I have around 60ish% feeling back, and it still tingles most of the time which I don't notice most of the time. My jaw and face still gets a little achy after talking/laughing a lot, but overall I feel great!

Just a few minor annoyances to note:
  • I still drool occasionally
  • Upper gums are numb
  • Left cheek feels thick - I think the inside of it is numb
  • I get little twinges a pain along the cut sites every once in a while
  • The base of my nose has been sore - Dr Nelson says that's normal and it'll be that way for up to 8 months
  • Slight puffiness remains on either side of my nose - Dr Nelson says this is normal too, and it'll be that way for up to 8 months

I saw Dr Nelson on Monday (July 5), and he said that I am a "quick healer." :) Everything has fused together and he can't see any lines in my gums where the cuts were made. He said he could tell that I've been massaging my upper lip area (to smooth out the scar tissue underneath), because he couldn't see any ridge in my lip. I only need to wear the rubber bands at night now, and he told me to continue withe the lip/cheek massaging. He also said I need to really work at stretching my mouth to get my ROM back. It's pretty limited right now so I might have to go to physical therapy if I can't get it back on my own. Yikes! That's going to suck if I have to do that. :(

On Wednesday (July 7), I saw Dr Quaroni, and he said I was a "good healer." Just call me the Super Healer! ;) LOL jk. He was happy with my progress from both surgeries. He didn't seem as concerned about my limited ROM, he just said to a little movement everyday and it'll start come around just don't expected to happen overnight. He said I can start running on a treadmill now, but still no chewing anything even soft food.  Oh well, I'll be eating real food again soon enough, only 6 more weeks to go on that front.

This pic was an accident, but I think it turned out to be an awesome profile shot. I'm loving my new profile! :)

3 comments:

  1. Hey you look fantastic! I will be at the Austin Surgical Hospital as well. It's comforting to know that they do these surgeries a lot! You're blog has a lot of helpful tips in it and it looks like you had hardly any swelling! I hope it's the same for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! The staff at ASH are GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Roxie -
    Just got done reading your post op and wow I think you are a super healer! You look great and your swelling really seemed to go down quick...Congrats on all your progress! I got a laugh at your recovery issues on 2nd surgery with the T.V. being loud...I agree with you it should be quiet and peaceful!
    I am planning to go back to work at about the 3 week area..what do you do for a living? I manage a bunch of people and I just wonder how I am going to be able to communicate to them if my mouth is full of marbles...
    Anyway, I hope your are feeling better emotionally wise!! Have a wonderful day!
    Regards,
    Brent

    ReplyDelete