Sunday, June 27, 2010

Post-Op Day 6

Day 6 (Sunday, May 30) - I had a bit of a scare the night before. I had just finished up drinking my soup, and of course I choke on it so I start coughing. Then I hear POP POP! WTH? Instant panic occurs. I frooze, because I thought if I moved I'd mess it up even further. Oh shit, oh shit, I'm thinking I just busted my lower jaw on one side. I looked at my husband and said "Something just popped!" Then about two seconds later I was like, "Wait, there's no pain? Oooohhhh, the bands just broke." Haha. Whew.

Then about another two seconds later, panic set in again. "Oh no, oh no, what should I do????" My husband called Q's cell since we had it, but he didn't answer. I was freaked out and just about crying. I still thought I was messing something up w/o those bands. Then my husband tried Q's office # and got the # of the other dr that was on call for the weekend. The dr didn't think it'd be a problem w/o the bands for a night since I didn't have any pain. He said to try Q's cell again if he didn't call us back. Q did return our call, and confirmed what that other dr had said. He wanted to see me first thing the next morning to replace the bands. It really wasn't that big of deal luckily. Whew!

We went down to Q's office in the next morning, and he replaced the bands. He gave me a bag of bands and showed my husband how to put them in if they broke again. No big deal. He said I was looking great all things considered. :)

I felt pretty good in the morning, but as the afternoon came I started hitting some walls...first one - the oral pain and anti-nausea meds. They are supposed to be "fruit" flavored. Didn't taste like any fruit I've ever had. But they do work (really well) so I have to take them. It started turning into a fight over the weekend and by Sunday I was literally choking them down. It got to point where I was almost in tears every time I took them. And I had to go thru this every 6 hours. It was torture.

The second wall I hit - I wanted solid food. You do not realize just how many food commercials are on TV until you can't eat those foods! I really wanted pizza. I wanted pizza SO BAD. Later that night it got so bad that I tried to suck on a tiny piece of bread, but it just got stuck on my tongue so I couldn't swallow it. Grr! And of course that lead to tears of frustration and anger. :|

Ok, so just to prove just how messed up the pain meds had me. Day 6 was SUNDAY. I totally thought it was Saturday, and the night before was Friday night. ALL DAY LONG on Sunday I thought this. It wasn't until later Sunday night when I mentioned to the hubby that I thought it was weird that Dr Q had asked how our Saturday was when it was only Saturday morning. My hubby was like, um, today is Sunday.  HUH??? I completely and totally lost a day, no memory of it what so ever!

Annoyances:

  • Talking is still difficult
  • Still drooling/slobbering
  • Runny nose w/o warning
  • Will this congestion ever go away?
  • Coughing hurts
  • Oral pain meds and anti-nausea meds taste HORRIBLE, I am so freaking tired of choking them down!
  • Still can't "swish" mouthwash so I'm pretty sure my teeth are going to rot
  • I wanna brush my teeth soooo bad (I did use the little in-between brush to clean some gunk from my front top braces, shhh)
  • Bruises are surfacing - WTH is with the ones on my neck?!?
  • I REALLY want solid food
  • Tired of not feeling like myself
Good Stuff:
  • No nose bleeds
  • My lower lip and chin still tingle - means the nerves are healing :)
  • I LOVE my heating pad
  • I like hanging out w/my dogs all day
  • Swelling is going down
  • I can kinda smile

Post-op day 6 pic - Swelling had gone down considerably, but bruises had started surfacing.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, this blog is really useful for people considering jaw surgery. I'm considering it for similar reasons to yours (I think) I'd be interested to see your 'after' profile pics (once the swelling had gone down) to compare them to the before as it looks like you had a similar situation to me. I had a smallish jaw then had teeth extracted and shrunk back with train track braces as a teenager, and now have a 'dished in' appearance to my mouth and my lips are thinner. I want to bring my upper and lower arches forwards but not sure if the results will be worth the surgery, cost, recovery time etc.

    Thanks,

    Anna

    ReplyDelete