Saturday, June 26, 2010

Nausea :(

The first night was a little rough for me. I woke up around 11pm or so (per my husband) with a really upset stomach. Apparently the nurse had forgot to give me a dose of the anti-nausea meds earlier so I got the dose a little too late...

The tech that helped me was wonderful though. She was so nice, I wish I could remember her name. : | She explained that what was happening was totally normal even though it looked really bad. She told me and my husband that I was going to empty my stomach contents of the blood that had drained into it during the surgery. Great. I tried SO HARD to throw-up, but my stomach was completely empty. It sucked so bad. It hurt too. Dry heaves suck. Anesthesia sucks. This dry heaving seemed to go on forever, I really don't know how long it lasted. It just sucked.

I also started coughing which sucked too. It was a deep chested, crackling cough. The nurse and tech said this was a good thing and to go ahead and cough it all out. It wast the anesthesia working it's way out of my system. I didn't care what it was at the time, I just wanted it to stop.

After this happened is when I first remember actually feeling some pain. I felt the most pain in my lower jaw. The nurse put the little button thingy for the pain meds in my hand, and I kept on losing it. Those pains meds work pretty fast. In no time I was back in lala land and asleep. :)

I had the barf tub next to me for the rest of the night. Off and on a few times I had some nausea, but is was nothing like that first time. By the time the morning rolled around I was feeling better. I was able to eat, or drink rather, some liquids - apple juice, ensure, beef broth and water. Everything tasted pretty good. A bit later though the nausea came back. I didn't puke anything up, just had a queasy tummy for a little bit. This became the norm for a couple days. Didn't have much pain, what pain I did have was easily controlled by the pain meds.

No comments:

Post a Comment