Sunday, June 27, 2010

Post-Op Days 2-3

Day 2 (Wed, May 26) - After breakfast, I really wanted to get up and take a shower, but I still had the catheter in which was UNcomfortable. I was so tired of just laying in bed. So I asked the nurse if I could have the catheter removed so I take a shower, and she said no problem. Awesome! The shower felt GREAT! :) Then I was totally pooped and just wanted to sleep again.

After my shower I felt good for the rest of the day. I attempted to watch a movie or two, but the all the meds I was getting just knocked me out so sleeping is what I did most. At some point that day I also took a walk w/my husband's help around the hospital which went good. I was pretty tired afterwards though and slept again for a while. Later on I was coherent enough to log onto facebook for a while. Dr Q came while I was on FB and said that it was really good that I was sitting up & doing things. He said everything looked good, but I needed to get more liquids in me before he released me to go home.

I had visitors that evening. I didn't really want to see anyone since I was starting to look like a puffer fish and was spending most of my time in lala land, but my friend had made up her mind before the surgery that she was coming to see me whether I wanted her to or not. She is one of my closest friends so really I couldn't tell her no. ;) Now, I was kinda worried about her seeing me though...she has NO poker face at all. I was afraid she'd see me and have this horrified expression on her face. That is something I don't think I could have handled. She said I looked good, a lot better than she was expecting. They (her and her husband) brought me some flowers and a card. :) I can't say that I remember what was talked about, but I remember my face hurting some from laughing. It must have been a good visit. ;)

Here's the first pic of me ~24 hours post-op and after my shower. I really didn't look too bad yet, other than no make-up. :( Oh, and I LOVED those ice packs around my face! They felt awesome! :)


Day 3 (Thurs, May 27) - I reached the peak of swelling on day 3. Now I'm really puffer fish face, and it was bit scary looking (see photographic evidence). Another than the swelling I still feel pretty good for the most part. Not a lot of pain. During the night the nurse had started to switch me to the oral pain meds in preparation of disconnecting the IV and so I can go home. I had a lot more appetite on day 3, and drank everything for my breakfast and lunch which made Dr Q happy. Then I was able to go home! Q also told me that my swelling really was minimal compared to others, and that I looked great. This didn't really make me feel any better. :P

My list of 'annoyances' for the first two days:
  • Talking is way to difficult
  • My face feels funny
  • Drooling is gross, but can't be stopped
  • Nose bleeds just happen w/o warning
  • Congestion - I can breathe thru my nose, but my sinuses are stuffed
  • Coughing hurts
  • Eating is a messy procress
  • Can't "swish" mouthwash since I can't move my cheeks or lips
  • Tired of laying in this bed
Stuff I'm happy about:
  • No sore throat! (I had read that a lot people had this so I was expecting it)
  • I can shower
  • Ice packs are awesome
  • Minimal numbness
  • My lower lip and chin tingle - means the nerves are healing :)
  • I can drink from a cup
  • Pain is managed well
  • I can have my Starbucks :)
  • Everyone is so nice here
Here are day 3 pics -

No comments:

Post a Comment