Monday, August 9, 2010

Exercises

I forgot to add this to my last post. :P

These are the exercises my ortho/surgeon instructed me to do to help get my ROM (range of motion) back in shape. *Disclaimer - Please consult w/your OD or OS as every doctor is different in what they want you to do/not do during your recovery! :)

Stretch #1:  Take both index fingers and put on lower teeth. Then press down on lower jaw and softly bounce lower jaw down - if it hurts then use less pressure. Bounce 4-5 times, twice a day. Massage jaw and joint area afterwards.

Stretch #2:  Using your hand, push lower jaw to the side till you feel the stretch (not pain) and hold for a few seconds. Do both sides, twice a day. Massage jaw and joint area afterwards.

Stretch #3: Little side to side, and open/close movements throughout the day.

Stretch #4:  Open and stretch mouth as far as I can till I can feel the stretch, and then hold for as long as I can stand it. I do these mostly in the car to/from work. Also, I'll do this while I'm watching TV in the evening. Massage jaw and joint area afterwards.

And that's it.  These are helping little by little. Everything in this recovery is little by little. :) Anyway, this morning I was able to get two finger widths in my mouth opening.  First time that has happened since I started working on my ROM! Woo Hoo!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Roxie! What muscle relaxer does your surgeon have you on/dosage? I'd be interested to know so I can bring this up with my surgeon on Monday. I wake up in the morning with sooo much tension, and then it's like I have to start all over again on my ROM. Having the rubber bands in isn't really helping at the moment either. Hard to stretch out when I have to wear them all the time. I'll probably end up having to do some physical therapy at some point as well so I wish you luck in yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flexeril 10mg tablets. I've been taking one every night before I go to bed. I also have the option of taking one in the morning, but haven't felt the need for that...yet. It's helping.

    Sounds like we are in the same boat! I can totally relate to everything you mention - been there, still there!

    Thanks, and good luck to you too!

    ReplyDelete